Are you planning to travel alone? Years ago, the thought of a woman doing would get more jeers than cheers. Safety would be the primary concern for many. Chances are your family might dissuade you will all sorts of news clippings and stories. But even with all, that’s going on in the world to date, traveling by yourself can be one of the best experiences you can have.
Remember, traveling alone doesn’t mean you’re lonely. Sometimes, the decision happens by accident. The person who’s supposed to join you had an emergency and backed out at the last minute. It could also be by choice, hint, “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert. Whether you watched the movie with Julia Roberts or read the book, chances are it got you thinking about what it would be like to travel by yourself. The key to doing this is to choose your destination wisely.
Destinations in Asia
- Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam is considered a female-friendly location in Southeast Asia. You can explore the city’s markets such as Ben Thank or the Dong Xuan Market in Hanoi.
- Singapore is not only safe, but it’s also clean and orderly. Besides, you won’t have a hard time conversing with the locals since many speak English. Try to take in some of the sights like the National Orchid Garden and the Singapore Botanic Gardens before going straight to shopping along Orchard Road.
- If the spirit of Lara Croft moves you then head onto the Angkor Wat temples in Siem Reap, Cambodia. You’ll have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to tour the historical monuments without worrying you’ll get into a fistfight with any treasure hunters while you’re there.
- Chances are you’ve traveled to Hong Kong before on business. Then again, if you went for the pleasure, it would’ve likely been with friends or family. But you’re missing a lot if you don’t go back for a solo trip. The meeting of west and eastern culture together with the shopping and culinary treats are too much to pass up.
Destinations in Europe
- Prague is one of those places you rarely notice when planning a trip to Europe. However, this city in the Czech Republic will surprise you with its fairytale-like ambiance. Moreover, it’s less expensive to visit compared to its neighboring countries.
- When you think about safety in Europe, then Copenhagen in Denmark is the first thing to come to mind. The city crime rate is low. Plus, the Danes are always warm and hospitable. To make the most out of a trip to this destination, book your travel in the summer. The 18-hour days will give you ample time for sight-seeing.
- Lisbon, Portugal is another place you should consider when traveling by yourself. Enjoy the local cuisine and take a road trip to Sintra. You can even experience the local nightlife without fear.
- If you want a more local destination in Europe, then check out Bled, Slovenia. It’s a charming city and offers a lot of outdoor activities you can enjoy like hiking. You can even go horseback riding. Be sure to tour the Bled Castle.
Destinations in America
- Experience the exclusive combination of Native American heritage with touches of Spanish influence. If you’re an art enthusiast, then you’ll likely have fun visiting the numerous galleries in the area devoted to Native American and Southwestern art.
- San Francisco offers a variety of activities. So, every moment won’t be a bore for you in the Golden Gate city. Enjoy a pleasant trip to Fisherman’s Wharf or Chinatown. Visit the city’s well-known landmarks like Alcatraz Island and the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Are you a fan of country music? If you are then head on over to Nashville, Tennessee. Voted as the friendliest city in the USA, you’ll find a lot of honky-tonk venues in the Music City to get your fill. Best of all, you can sample Southern comfort food at its finest.
- If you go down further south, you can also choose to go to Santiago, Chile. Although it’s a populous city, you won’t feel at risk while walking around the city center. Be sure to check out the Terraza Bellavista to catch a magnificent view covering the nearby mountains and the city.
Traveling alone is an opportunity every woman should try at least once in their life. You’ll learn about yourself. Moreover, you’ll realize being on your own in another country doesn’t have to be a lonely experience. It’s a chance to meet new people, experience new things, and gain more confidence in yourself. So, which of the cities above have you shortlisted? Let us know which ones and why.